Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The "small" stuff is actually the "big" stuff....

Today has been one of those days where I am in awe of God. Most of the time on these days, which are frequent, I have a hard time really expressing even through words what my mind is thinking.  Sometimes I feel like life is out of control and I have a hard time focusing my mind on God’s truths. He is sovereign, In control, Good, Father to the fatherless, Ruler of all, everlasting, all knowing, all powerful, He Is! I know sometimes I have a hard time trusting, in fact I think I probably run into this problem multiple times a day. How silly of me and my human ways. My worrying says that God is unable but He Is Able!

You know, I have always wanted to do something “big” with my life. I’m learning more and more that my something “big” is simply following Christ everyday in the “small” stuff. I mean where did we come up with this “big” and “small” stuff anyhow! I feel like so many times we focus on a big goal in the future and forget to look where we are stepping in the here and now. There are a lot of things that I would love to do with my life, what I have to realize is that I can carry all of those things out in my life right now. It just might look a little different then I imagined, and a lot of times I think that is better. After all, the Lord knows best. There is so many ways to serve the Lord around us and sometimes I think we overlook those things as though they are not “good” enough or “big” enough. Going to visit the old lady next door who has no family around, wash her dishes, take her trash out, read her the Bible, talk with her, and love her. Speak truth and encouragement to the friend who is hurting and crying as you hug her. Spend a morning in a kitchen that is full of non believers, cook with them and feed the poor with them. Pray and give faithfully to those in need, give to those risking their lives to share the gospel and to the family who just lost a job. Do things in silence, not to be seen by the world for your own fulfillment, I was reminded of this today (Matt. 6). Let us not be consumed by the things of this world, but by the things that will glorify, bring honor and bring others to the one and only all powerful God (Romans 12:1-2, Matt.10:34, 1John 2:15-17). It is through these “little” things that we do every single day that bring honor and glory to God. We have to learn how to focus on what is right in front of us, the people that the Lord has placed in our everyday lives and know that in serving them He will be glorified and His name and His truths will be spoken. If we just focus on what He has placed in front of us we will begin to see how He is big and we are not and that He is the one who will take care of the “big”! So let’s be faithful in the small and watch how He brings all things together and how He will bring them all together for His good!

No comments:

Post a Comment